Friday, April 4, 2014

Ulverland Campaigns I'd Like to Run...Someday

I've been setting games in Ulverland and the World Between since high-school, so you'd think I'd have tapped out all the inspiration therein--but no, the ideas keep coming. Here's three I haven't even gotten to yet:


I'd like to do something like the choose-your-own-adventure Bujilli thing that has been a long-running feature on Hereticwerks here on my blog. Of course, instead of the impossible to reproduce style of Wermspittle weirdness, mine would be about the travails of a novice nun (formerly a crusader in the Martyrlands) newly-assigned to convent where things are not what them seem. Think Cadfael-meets-The Monk and you're on the right track.

* * *


I'd also like to run something I'd describe as Gothic Hogwarts. All the characters would be young students enrolled in the Orxham Academy, Ulverland's hallowed school of the magical arts. Intrigue in the stacks, fiendish detentions, startlingly violent evals. This wouldn't be a dungeoncrawl...I'd call it a semestercrawl instead.

* * *


I'd also like to run something set in Ulverland's colonies in the Discovered Countries. This is all probably inspired by our trip to Fort George last summer. Major influences: the Salem witch trials, the Roanoke mystery, Ginger Snaps Back, and the French & Indian War.

Someday...


9 comments:

  1. Those all sound good. The problem with the Bujilli type thing (and its really just an amplification of the blog writing problem in general) is you put in a lot of work for the response. Great as they are, the Bujilli posts get few comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I also have doubts about my ability to keep a Bujilli type thing going with the same amount of dedication and verve that they do. Grave doubts, man.

      Delete
  2. Yes.

    Gothic wizard school. Brain is churning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's a great source of inspiration: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scholomance

      Delete
  3. Here is another source of inspiration.

    http://www.rpgnow.com/product/95492/Eldritch-High-A-Little-Game-about-Wizards-Witches-and-Warlocks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know what an adventure in the Martylands would be like. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go for it. If you have fun doing it, and you have one dedicated reader who enjoys what you are doing, then you're doing great. It's all gravy from there on out. It will be fun to see what you come up with, and if we can help, just ask. We've made a lot of mistakes along the way, and learned a little bit in the doing.

    Scholomance is a great inspiration, as are Cadfael and The Monk, so that sounds promising. Love the term 'Semestercrawl,' as well. You definitely have the know-how and depth of reading to back this up, so why not give it a shot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still thinking about the CYOA type thing, but will definitely hit you up if I have any questions!

      Delete